Saturday, September 4, 2010

Chapter 1 Exercises 2&4

2. Explain how Old Spice uses Ethos, Pathos and Logos in its commercial
 Old Spice Guy Commercial - Ethos, Pathos, Logos

Ethos - The  "Old Spice Guy" has the reputation for being funny and leaves the audience expecting the commercial to be entertaining. This causes the audience to pay close attention and as a result notice the deodorant product.

Pathos - The "Old Spice Guy" portrays the image of being very cool and able to talk smooth which makes the audience desire to have those same qualities.

Logos -  The people watching this commercial will use logos to understand using deodorant will cause them to smell better and as a result be more socially accepted and get along with people easier.

4.Create 5 syllogisms with a Major premise, minor premise and conclusion

-Major Premise: All women are from venus
-Minor Premise: My sister is a woman
-Conclusion: My sister is from venus

-Major Premise: Soda causes cancer
-Minor Premise: I drink soda
-Conclusion: I have cancer

-Major Premise: PCC is healthy
-Minor Premise: I go to PCC
-Conclusion: I am healthy

-Major Premise: In order to go to Northwest you need to be smart
-Minor Premise: I go to Northwest
-Conclusion: I am smart

-Major Premise: Alaskans are beautiful
-Minor Premise: My girlfriend is Alaskan
-Conclusion: My girlfriend is beautiful

1 comment:

  1. Nice syllogisms, be more clear on ethos, pathos, and logos and how the commercial is using them, not how we percieve them.

    ReplyDelete